How RPA can help Labs in COVID-19 Test Reporting Automation6 min read
Many Healthcare Organizations around the globe are concerned about one thing:
How to speed up the reporting and testing of COVID-19?
Currently, time and speed are two major factors that play an important role while delivering an exceptional patient experience in the Healthcare Industry.
Why does Testing need to be more Agile?
In 2003, during the H1N1 pandemic, a system was created that helped doctors and nurses to record and report the results of the tests. At the testing sites, all the test results must be logged into a system in order to report the results to Infection Prevention and Control (IPC). This involved a lot of manual work and consumed more than half-day from clinicians working hours.
During SARS, nurses had to log into the blood-testing system and extricate disease codes. They were then required to get into a .NET data platform and had to manually enter each test report. Typically this work used to consume up to 2-3 hours per day from a single clinician.
In COVID-19, there is a significant increase in the number of tests being done on a per-day basis. The demand at the testing sites are monstrous, and there is a long queue of individuals waiting to step through the examinations.
COVID-19 testing protocol requires a patient to be looked up first in the existing record, if not found, a new entry is added to the system. After this, the patient’s information and results are stored in the database and mailed back to the CDC, ICMR, or country-specific research centers. This procedure can add to the total time of patients holding up in the queue, resulting in approx 6-hours of waiting time.
Early diagnosis and quick response are significant in forestalling the spread of COVID-19, many hospitals and private labs are adopting advanced technological tools to automate the process of testing and other tasks in order to reduce the strain of a large amount of manual work being done on a daily basis.
Using RPA technology we can create Robots and assign them particular tasks like:
1. An RPA system will fetch in patients’ information, checks are then applied to find out whether they are existing patients or not in the database via a Citrix environment. The test outcomes are then recorded, and outcomes are sent to specific medical research centers. This whole process consumes 2-3 minutes for execution if done manually while using the RPA technology this can be executed in just 14-16 seconds.
2. Furthermore using RPA, a system can be created which will compile multiple pieces of information from the internet to create customized location-based content (eg. Arogyasetu Application). The robot then arranges the information into a daily report and provides the user with the latest updates, guidelines to get tested, and other important information related to his/her location.
3. Accelerate Radiology Results for COVID-19 Detection: Hospitals utilizing AI and RPA on CT scans (chest X rays) for quicker testing can decrease the patient hold up time by over 70%.
4. Schedule Remote Patient Consultations: Bots are helping by automatically scheduling the patients’ questions for appointments by means of video discussions and also ensures 24/7 accessibility of booking for patients.
5. Accelerate COVID-19 Vaccine Development: Automating the development of basic clinical testing information over numerous applications/groups to decrease the time required to design the vaccine.
With a robot replacing a nurse, the infection control division can spare out around 3 hours per day thus, allowing the clinical staff to invest their energy in dealing with patients as opposed to filling in the desk work.
- Saves 2-3 hours per day for the clinician
- Allows access to Real-time information
- Allows critical workers to work on more important tasks
- Improves overall experience
- Boost operational productivity
Automation powered by BigStep Technologies
BigStep Technologies are partners for the UiPath Robotic Process Automation (RPA) solution with a strong team of in-house developers having expertise in test automation, chatbot, mobile testing backed by RPA.
UiPath is a leading solution in the space of Robotic Process Automation. Gartner ranks UiPath as number 1 in its Magic Quadrant on the scale of ability to execute and completeness of vision.
BigStep Technologies has successfully provided the pilot phase of the solution for one of the leading labs in India. The RPA solution provided by BigStep has reduced the manual effort and time required to share the test report for COVID 19 by the lab on the ICMR website by automating the patient information collection and sharing process.
A pandemic causes an unforeseen, dramatic upsurge in the demand for clinical healthcare that often extends the limits of the supply chain. A human workforce not integrated by Digital Workers may struggle for a bit, however, using a Digital Workforce (robots) healthcare services can scale effectively and quickly thus, allowing the critical service workers to meet the requirement on time.
Want to use Robots for your Organizations? Get in touch with our experts here: firstname.lastname@example.org
Technical Content Writer and Digital Content marketeer @BigStepTech. My Work is to perform a thorough research on the topics related to technologies, create content and find a suitable market place for that content to generate traffic.